Wednesday, September 16, 2015

9/16/2015: First Week in Brazil

Bom Dia!

I have been in Brazil for a week now, and I have loved every
second of it. I am going outside of the MTC (Missionary Training
Center) for the first time today, and I am really looking forward to
it. I also had the opportunity to go to the temple here in São Paulo
today, and it was absolutely beautiful. However, back to the MTC. 1)
The food here is delicious. I eat a lot of beans, rice, and meat,
along with some somewhat questionable side dishes and desserts. I love
rice and beans though, so no worries here! 2) The Brazilian people are
so nice. We sit next to them at lunch and do our best to talk to them.
They are funny, kind, and are always willing to help you with learning
Portuguese. 3) As for the language, you could not believe how quickly
we are learning it. I have only been here for a week, yet I have
taught four 20-45 minute lessons, completely in Portuguese, prepared a
talk for church in Portuguese, and held a 2 hour conversation with my
Brazilian roommates about the differences in culture between the
United States and Brazil ONLY IN PORTUGUESE. It is truly a miracle
that I can speak this well after only a week. It would't be possible
without God, and I am definitely developing a testimony of the gift of
tongues. 4) I love my district (the group of missionaries that I
learn, teach, and work with). We have a lot of interesting characters,
including: Elder Murray (our district leader), Elder Jefferies (who
can throw my sass right back at me), Elder McGladrie (who had a stone
in his salivary gland -- but don't worry, he's okay), Elder
Westenhaver (who has a really blunt and dry sense of humor and reminds
me of Leah), Sister Brown (who's name is Haley, lives in CR,
and goes to BYU -- we are practically twins), and Sister Trejo (who
eats "banana spoders" and speaks English and Spanish, and is now
learning Portuguese). That brings me to my companion, Sister Almgren.
She is really nice and we get along well. She is from Minnesota. She
helps me focus, work hard, and *cough cough* leave the room on time in
the morning. I would like to say sorry in advance for the poor spacing
on these letters, the computers here don't like to let you use the
enter button. Also, I am not allowed to send pictures until I get into
the field, but I will do that as soon as I can. I love you all, and
the church is true! :)

 Sister Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment