Wednesday, September 23, 2015

9/23/2015: Week Two - The Brazilians Are Gone

Bom Dia!

This week has been great. I can't believe I have been
here for two weeks. It feels like six months. Every day in the CTM
runs together. I spend the majority of my time sitting in a classroom,
studying Portuguese or planning for my next lesson. I have two
instructors: Irmão F and Irmã C. F is really laid back, but is a bit of a kook.
He will randomly make us start singing our lessons in four part harmony,
or will come up really close and make a weird face while sayings something
to you in Portuguese. He's even had a push-up contest with one of the elders in
my district. Irmã C on the other hand, is like an Energizer
Bunny. She speaks Portuguese really quickly, forces everyone to
participate, and has us speaking in Portuguese 24/7. She is really
short and sasses the elders to no end. I love both of them, they both
teach really well and have helped me progress in Portuguese by leaps
and bounds. This week, the Brazilians that were here all left,
including my two roommates (if I could attach pictures I would show
you). Sister L and Sister R were both really sweet and
hilarious, so it was really sad to see them go. One Brazilian Elder
stopped me in the hall the night before he left, and started
serenading me with the first two lines of the song, "A Whole New
World" from Aladdin in broken English. After he was done, he proceeded
to put his hand up to his face and said, "Call me after the mission."
Then he walked upstairs and that was that. I have never talked to him
before, but man, it was so funny. I have a few notes about Brazil: 1)
The don't use toilet paper, they use tissues. 2) Pão de quejo is the
best thing on the planet. 3) People here like to touch my hair because
I am blonde. 4) Brazilians aren't very good at playing
basketball/volleyball. On a more serious note, last night our district
had a meeting. For the lesson, I felt prompted to have everyone talk
about the reason they went on a mission, and the person that they
wanted to become afterwards. I thought that our district needed a bit
more focus, and a reminder of why we are here... serving the Lord and
sharing the gospel. We went around the circle, and each person shared
with us their reason. It was amazing to hear the testimonies of
every single person in that room, and to see a glimpse of someone's
soul. By the end, everyone was crying because the spirit was so
strong. It strengthened our district immensely. I am so happy to be
here in Brazil and to be sharing the gospel. This church makes me so
happy, and I am so excited to share that joy with other people. I love
this church, I love my Savior, and I couldn't think of a better way to
spend the next 18 months. Thanks to everyone who e-mailed me, I am a
little short on time, so I can't reply to everything, but I read them
all and I really appreciate them.

With love from Brazil,
Sister Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment